PHBC May 11, 1997
Series: First Peter, Sermon #18
PILGRIMS, THE BLOOD OF CHRIST BY WHICH WE ARE REDEEMED IS PRECIOUS
TEXT: I Pet. 1:18-20
INTRO: I seem to be staying on these verses longer than planned. In reviewing what I have preached thus far, I realized I had not spent but a few moments on the fact that the blood of Christ is precious. In this message we are going to look at some of the reasons Christ’s blood is precious.
Let me point out that blood, all blood, be it human or animal, has from the beginning been regarded by God as precious. Certainly not to the degree that the blood of Christ is precious, but all blood is precious.
A. When Cain killed Abel, God said to Cain, the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. God had regarded with favor the sacrifice of Abel because it was a blood sacrifice; he had rejected the sacrifice of Cain because it was not a blood sacrifice. And because Cain killed Able, God said to Cain, "Now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from they hand."
B. God showed his high regard for blood again when he commanded that men are not to eat blood which is the life of the flesh, and when he required the death sentence for any who shed another's blood intentionally. Gen. 9:4‑6 "But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.”
C. God's estimation of blood and its preciousness is seen again in the land of Egypt. He did not deliver Israel by the power of the plague of frogs. He delivered them by the blood of the Passover lamb. And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it. And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you. (Ex. 12:12‑13, 23)
D. The preciousness of blood in the sight of God is again set forth by Solomon when he declares that God hates "hands that shed innocent blood.” Proverbs 6:16-17 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood.
E. The preciousness of blood is seen again in the book of Revelation. "For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy" (Rev 16:6). "And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration" (Rev. 17:6). "And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth" (Rev. 18:24). "For true and righteous are his judgments: for he hath judged the great whore, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of his servants at her hand" (Rev. 19:2).
Many other things could be cited to show the importance God attaches to blood, even the blood of beasts. But, super abounding above the blood of beasts, the blood of man, the blood of the most godly saint, is the blood of Jesus Christ, THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST.
My subject is PILGRIMS, THE BLOOD OF CHRIST BY WHICH WE ARE REDEEMED IS PRECIOUS. We could not possibly enumerate all the reasons in one message. In fact, I am convinced that we will learn much more about the preciousness of the blood of Christ as God unfolds the riches of his grace throughout the eternal ages.
I. HIS BLOOD IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE IT IS THE BLOOD OF THE GOD-MAN
A. Everything about Christ is precious to the believer. 1 Peter 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1. The human face from which they plucked his beard is precious.
2. The human hands and feet through which the nails were driven are precious.
3. The unjointed human bones are precious.
4. The human back which was given to the smiters is precious.
5. The human head that was crowned with thrones is precious.
6. The human soul which was made an offering for sin is precious.
7. The human blood which he shed for our redemption, our justification, our reconciliation, and our cleansing is precious.
B. The union of deity and humanity in the person of Jesus Christ elevated the worth of every thing about him.
1. He is the eternal, glorious Word made flesh and tabernacling among. us. John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
2. He is the express image of the person of God. Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high.
3. He is the fulness of the Godhead bodily. Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
4. He is God manifest in the flesh. 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
5. He is God blessed forever coming to the earth in human flesh. Romans 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin.
6. He is the son of David who is also declared to be the Son of God. Romans 1:3-4 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
7. He is God made in the likeness of man. Philippians 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
8. He is the man Christ Jesus who is alone able to serve as mediator between God and man. 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
9. He is the Son of God sent forth and made of a woman, made under the law. Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
10. He is the virgin born son of Mary and the only begotten Son of God. Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
11. He is God's Son sent in the likeness of sinful flesh. Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
12. He is Jesus Christ come in the flesh. 1 John 4:2-3 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 2 John 7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
13. He is Jesus, Lord of the angels who is made a little lower than the angels so that he could tasted death for his people. Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
14. He is our great Goel, our kinsman redeemer, partaking of our flesh and our blood so that he might bring us to glory and deliver us from the fear of death. Hebrews 2:10-17 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, 12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee. 13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me. 14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. 17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
15. He is the man Christ Jesus whose very person is so precious that when he died on the cross the most amazing thing to ever accompany a man's death happened. The veil of the temple was rent in twain from top to bottom, the earth quaked and the rocks were shattered in pieces, graves were opened and the bodies of sleeping saints arose. Those hardened soldiers who had plucked off his beard and smote his face and gambled for his garments, exclaimed, "Truly this was the Son of God." Matthew 27:51-52 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; 52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
16. No wonder his blood is precious; he is eternal God but dying the death of a man, for he is truly a man.
II. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS MARVELOUS REDEEMING POWER
A. It has been the one single means of redemption since the foundation of the world. Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
B. It is the blood of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Revelation 22:8 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
C. It is the blood of the foreordained Lamb of God. 1 Peter 1:18-20 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.
D. It is the blood of which every last saint in heaven shall happily sing. Revelation 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation.
III. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS ATONING EFFICACY
A. It is the blood that makes atonement for the soul. Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
B. Apart from blood there can be no remission of sin. Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
C. I may make many sacrifices, I may mortify my body and give it to be burned, I may be baptized and join the church, I may receive the blessing of the pope, and say a thousand "Hail Mary's" per day, I may constantly pray on my knees until they have calluses like the knees of a camel, I may speak in the tongues of men and angels, I may read the Bible through and through many times, I might teach and work and prophesy in the name of Jesus, but I can never come before God in peace, until I come on the grounds of the blood, the precious blood of Jesus Christ.
IV. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS PURGING POWER
A. It can purge the conscience from dead works and equip us the serve the living God. Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
B. It is able to cleanse us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
C. This is the fountain that has been opened for sin and uncleanness. Zechariah 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.
D. He has washed us from our sins in his own blood. Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood.
V. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE IF ITS WONDERFUL PRESERVING POWER
A. It is the blood of the everlasting covenant. Hebrews 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant.
B. It is the blood by which Christ obtained eternal redemption for his people. Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
C. It is the blood by which we have been perfected forever. Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
VI. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS PLEADING POWER
A. The blood of slain Able cried out to God from the ground for vengeance.
B. The blood of Jesus Christ cries out from the ground of Golgotha's brow for the salvation of every one of the sheep. John 10:11-18 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. 13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. 15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. 17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
C. His Father loves to grant the plea of his blood and grant salvation to all for whom he laid down his life and shed his blood.
D. And the Father loves him because he shed that blood. John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
E. His blood does not cry for vengeance, it speaks of better things such as justification, expiation, reconciliation, sanctification, salvation, and glorification.
VII. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS MELTING INFLUENCE ON SINNERS
A. It will the melting influence of the blood that shall bring about the salvation of the elect remnant of Israel one day. Zechariah 12:10-12 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. 11 In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon. 12 And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart;
B. In the days of my own conviction when God was preparing my heart for his call to salvation, some of the sermons that I recall most clearly were sermons on the blood.
VIII. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS PROPITIATING POWER
A. The satisfaction was accomplished at the cross. Isaiah 53:10-11 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
B. The propitiating work of Christ is applied to the sinner when he trusts in the blood of Christ. Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.
IX. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS JUSTIFYING POWER
A. It is God who justifies. Romans 8:29-33 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. 31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
B. He justifies on the grounds of the blood of Jesus Christ. Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
X. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS INVIGORATING POWER
A. There is no life without drinking the blood of Christ. John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
B. His blood is drink indeed. John 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. Superior, invigorating drink. When you are discouraged, down, depressed, sorrowful, drink of the blood of Christ. Think of the value and worth he has put on you that he would shed his blood for you.
XI. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS OVERCOMING POWER
A. God has assured us that Satan will be bruised under our feet. Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
B. Our victory is in the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
C. Many will glory in the precious blood of Christ because by it they overcome the enemy. Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
XII. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS ENMITY SLAYING POWER
A. At one time all Gentiles were cut off from the covenants of promise, being aliens and strangers to these blessings. Ephesians 2:11-12 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world.
B. In our minds and hearts we are by nature still enemies to these blessings and the God who supplies them. Romans 8:7-8 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
C. The precious blood of Christ has slain that enmity, it has torn down the wall of alienation, and we are made nigh by that precious blood. Ephesians 2:13-16 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
D. Through Christ, his finished work, his precious blood we now have access to God. Ephesians 2:17-18 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
E. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace because the way has been opened up by the precious blood of Christ. Hebrews 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
XIII. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IS PRECIOUS BECAUSE OF ITS CONFIRMING OR RATIFYING POWER
A. God's covenants have always been ratified by blood.
B. When he instituted the Lord's Supper Jesus spoke of the ratifying power of his blood. Luke 22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. 1 Corinthians 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
C. Jesus is the mediator of the covenant of grace. Hebrews 11:24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; .
D. As mediator of the covenant he has ratified the covenant by shedding the blood of the everlasting covenant. Hebrews 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant.
CONC: Certainly we can sing, "Oh precious is the flow/ that makes me white as snow. No other fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus."
Is he precious to you? Have you trusted him as your Savior? Is his blood precious to you?
Go to HomePage of Central Baptist Church
Return to Index of Sermons on First Peter
Click here to see a complete listing of all messages on this site
This page last updated Friday, March 04, 2011