PHBC July 24, 1999
Series: First Peter, Ser. #73
THE DOMINION OF CHRIST
Scripture: I Pet. 4:7-11
TEXT: 1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
INTRO: I fear I would be remiss in this study of I Peter 4:11 if I left the verse without considering the everlasting dominion of our Lord Jesus Christ. As I have declared before, I am a staunch, expectant believer in the literal 1000-year reign of Christ on the earth when he comes in glory and power at the end of this age, but that does not preclude nor rule out his present dominion. In his deity, he is God-over-all. He is absolute sovereign. As the Son of Man, he has been highly exalted and given Lordship over all things. Any way you view Christ, in his deity or in his humanity, or as one theanthropic person who is both God and man, he is Lord and ruler.
In this message, we will look at some characteristics of the dominion of Christ.
I. THE MEANING OF CHRISTíS DOMINION
A. The Greek word translated dominion is KRATOS.
1. In the KJV this word is translated power 6 times, dominion 4 times, strength 1 time, mighty 1time.
2. The word is defined by Strong as meaning force, strength, power, might: mighty with great power, a mighty deed, a work of power, dominion.
B. Strong lists several words as synonyms of KRATOS and a look at those will shed further light on the meaning of our word.
1. BIA means strength of body or mind; violent action or force. Acts 27:41 And falling into a place where two seas met, they ran the ship aground; and the forepart stuck fast, and remained unmoveable, but the hinder part was broken with the violence of the waves.
2. DUNAMIS is translated power 77 times, mighty work 11 times, strength 7 times, miracle 7 times, might 4 times, virtue 3 times, mighty 2 times.
a. There are 9 miscellaneous translations for a total of 120 times.
b. It means strength power, ability, inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth; power for performing miracles; moral power and excellence of soul; the power and influence which belong to riches and wealth; power and resources arising from numbers; power consisting in or resting upon armies, forces, hosts.
3. ENERGEIA, the third synonym is translated working 4 times, effectual working 2 times, operation 1 time, and strong 1 time.
a. It means working, efficiency
b. In the NT used only of superhuman power, whether of God or of the Devil. Ephesians 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
4. EXOUSIA, the fourth synonym is translated in the KJV power 69 times, authority 29 times, right 2 times, liberty 1 time, jurisdiction 1 time, strength 1 time for a total of103 times.
a. It refers to the power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases; actions which belong only to a sovereign in the true sense of this.
b. It refers to the authority to give leave or permission.
c. It speaks of physical and mental power; the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises.
d. It has in mind the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege); the power of rule or government (the power of him whose will and commands must be submitted to by others and obeyed)
e. Universally it refers to authority over mankind; specifically the power of judicial decisions.
f. It speaks of authority to manage domestic affairs; jurisdiction; one who possesses authority; a ruler, a human magistrate; the leading and more powerful among created beings superior to man, spiritual potentates; a sign of the husbandís authority over his wife; the sign of regal authority, a crown.
5. ISCHUS, another synonym, is translated strength 4 times, power 2 times, might 2 times, ability 1 time, mightily 1 time, mighty 1 time. It means ability, force, strength, might.
C. It is apparent from the word Peter uses, along with its synonyms, that when the Holy Spirit had Peter use the word that is translated dominion, he had in mind the rule of Christ, the jurisdiction of Christ over all things. He has the power to do as he wills with all creation.
II. THE IMPLICATIONS OF THE DOMINION OF CHRIST
A. He is truly King of kings and Lord of lords. Revelation 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
B. He is the blessed and only Potentate. 1 Timothy 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords.
C. He is the prince of the kings of the earth. Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood. Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
D. He is the one with unlimited authority. Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
E. God has made him both Lord and Christ. Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
F. He is Lord of the dead and the living. Romans 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
G. He is the one with preeminence in all things. Colossians 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
III. THE EXTENT OF CHRISTíS DOMINION
A. His dominion is eternalófrom eternity to eternity. Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. Psalm 145:13 Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endureth throughout all generations.
B. His dominion is universal. Zechariah 9:10 And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.
1. The uttermost parts of the earth are his to rule and control. Psalm 2:8-12 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. 9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potterís vessel.
2. 10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. 11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.
3. His dominion is over all things. Psalm 72:6-11 He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth. 7 In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth. 8 He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth. 9 They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him; and his enemies shall lick the dust. 10 The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall bring presents: the kings of Sheba and Seba shall offer gifts. 11 Yea, all kings shall fall down before him: all nations shall serve him.
4. His dominion is over all things for all time. Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
C. His dominion includes ruling over nature. Matthew 8:27 But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!
D. He is head over each and every one of his true churches. Ephesians 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church.
E. His dominion is over the heavenly powers as well. 1 Peter 3:22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.
CONC: Is Christ worthy of all the glory we can give him? Is he worthy of all the glory God has given him?
He is worthy of it because he is God. And, he is worthy of it because he has earned it as man. He has been received up into glory and seated on the right hand of the Father with honor and majesty. Ephesians 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
He is worthy because of his glorious humanity and the marvelous condescension and suffering in his theanthropic person. That he is worthy is evident in the fact that God has highly exalted him giving him a name this is above every name. Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name.
He is worthy. O Yes, he is worthy of all the praise and glory given by angel, man, and God. Revelation 5:12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
Click to return to Central Baptist Church HomePage
Click to go to Table of Contents of This Site
Send E-mail to email@example.com
Click here to see a complete listing of all messages on this site
This page last updated Friday, March 04, 2011