KNOWING CHRIST AS THE ONE AND ONLY SAVIOUR
A Sermon By Wayne Camp
TEXT: Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
INTRO: There has, through the years, been much controversy concerning our subject this morning. The texts that I have read show that Christ is the one and only Saviour of sinners. Peter tells us in Acts 4:12 that there is salvation in no other ritual or person. There is no other name under heaven in which there is salvation. Jesus declared himself to be the only way to the Father. He is not a way. He is the way, the one and only way to the Father.
Men have set forth many different ways which seemed right to them. To some, the law is a Saviour if you will but try to keep it sincerely. To others church membership is the way to heaven but the church has never been set forth as the way to God. To some baptism and the Lord's Supper are the way to heaven. Some believe there is no salvation prior to baptism and regardless of how sincerely you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, there is just no salvation before baptism. And, you may not have it long after baptism if everything else does not fall into place properly.
Regardless of what men may say or how strongly and forcefully they proclaim it, I would inform you from the word of God, "You need to know Christ as the one and only Saviour. That is my subject, Knowing Christ as the One and Only Saviour of Sinners.
I. THE WORD OF GOD SETS FORTH CHRIST AS THE ONE AND ONLY SAVIOUR
A. Peter emphatically declares that there is no other Saviour. Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
1. Note first his declaration that there is no salvation in any other.
2. He reinforces that declaration with the declaration that there is none other name under heaven whereby we must be saved.
3. If I closed this message now, we would have enough to prove that we need to know Christ as the one and only Saviour for this verse unequivocally proves that fact.
B. Jesus declared that he is the one and only Saviour. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
1. He states the truth of this in the positive when he declares he is the way, the truth and the life.
2. He then declares this truth in a negative saying that no man can come to the Father except through him.
3. Now, we could surely close with these evidences, one by an inspired Apostle and the other by Jesus himself, but we will look further into the matter.
C. The angel who announced the birth of Jesus declared Jesus to be the only Saviour. Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
1. His name means Saviour setting him forth above Moses, John the Baptist, and others whom men might look too for Salvation.
2. The angel, after commanding that his name be called Jesus, then tells why—he shall save his people from their sins.
a. He will do what the law could not do for all the law could do was to cause men to see their sins and themselves as sinners in need of a Saviour.
b. He could do what baptism cannot do for baptism is only an outward sign of an inward cleansing. 1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
D. Paul, on more than one occasion, declared Jesus to be the only Saviour.
1. He declared him to be the only foundation and this foundation has already been laid, we do not lay it for ourselves. 1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
a. If there is no other foundation which can be laid why do men always seek other foundations upon which to base their hope for eternal life?
b. Since there is no other foundation, I must inform you that if you are building upon another foundation you are yet in your sins.
2. Paul declared Jesus to be the only mediator between God and man. 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
a. The apostle leaves doubt in the matter; there is one, and only one, mediator between God and man.
(1) That there is only one means there are not two or three or more.
(2) There is one, no more and no less.
b. If you do not know Christ as your one and only mediator, you are without hope and without God.
E. This truth is set forth again by John the Baptist. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
F. This truth was declared by the Saviour in these words found in John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
G. This truth was set forth very forcefully by John. 1 John 5:11-12 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
H. Consider the words of Jesus in yet another place. John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
I. Consider another declaration to this effect set forth by the Apostle Peter. John 6:68-69 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
1. The Lord had asked them if they would also go away as many had just done.
2. Peter realizes and sets forth that there is no other place to go if one is to have eternal life.
J. This same truth is inferred in the declaration of Christ to some who did not believe on him. John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
K. It seems that this truth is again in the mind of Christ when he declared himself to be the door by which men come to salvation. John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
L. Many other declarations are found in the word of God but if these do not convince men that the one and only Saviour is the Lord Jesus Christ then 10,000 more declarations would not convince them.
II. THE WORD OF GOD SETS FORTH SOME REASONS WHY JESUS IS THE ONLY SAVIOUR
A. Since the salvation of sinners is the sovereign prerogative of God, then only one who is ordained of God to be the redeemer of sinners can be the Saviour. 1 Peter 1:18-20 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.
B. Since salvation is dependent upon a Saviour who could render a sufficient satisfaction to God, only one who has rendered such satisfaction is worthy to be the Saviour. Isaiah 53:10-11 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
C. Since the Saviour of sinners must be able to mediate between God and man, one who can lay his hands upon both God and man can be the Saviour.
1. There is no way for sinful men to come before God except through an acceptable mediator. Job 9:32-33 For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment. Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.
2. Jesus is the one and only mediator and therefore the one and only Saviour. 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
D. The Saviour of sinners must be able to shed blood that will truly take away sin.
1. The blood of bulls and goats, regardless of the quantity and quality of those offered, could never take away sin. Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
2. Only the blood of Christ could obtain eternal redemption for sinners. Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
3. The blood of Jesus Christ is the only blood that can and does truly cleanse from sin, all sin. 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
E. The Saviour must be one who lives forever to make intercession for those whom he would save and Christ is fit for the task. Hebrews 7:25-27 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
F. The Saviour must be able to offer up one sacrifice that will perfect forever those whom he would save and only Christ could offer such and offering. Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
G. The Saviour must be like his people, yet free from sin, in order to make reconciliation for them and only Christ could qualify for that. Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
H. The Saviour must be one made under the law and rendering a perfect obedience to the law, and also able to pay the penalty for his people's law breaking. Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh.
I. The final thing I want to call to your attention is the fact that God alone, out of pure grace, could offer salvation to sinners.
1. He alone has the right to set the terms and means of salvation.
2. He sent his Son into the world to save sinners, to lay down his life for sinners. Mat. 1:21; John 10:15-18 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
3. Since it is his prerogatives to save, and it is his option to set the terms of salvation, and since he sent his Son to be the Saviour and endure all the sufferings involved in that, is it even thinkable that he might accept someone on any other terms of salvation?
4. God will not let another or another thing rob Christ of his glory as the one and only Saviour.
a. It is no wonder that Peter proclaimed Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
b. It is no wonder that Paul proclaimed 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
c. It is no wonder that Jesus declared John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
d. It is no wonder that John the Baptist declared John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
e. It is no wonder that the apostle John wrote 1 John 5:10-12 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
CONC: Jesus Christ is the Saviour. He is not a Saviour; he is the one and only Saviour. Don't ask him to share the glory with any thing are any body else. The glory of saving his people from their sins is his and his alone. I said, "Don't ask him to share the glory with any thing or any body else." I assure you he will not. God will not allow men to add to his way of salvation. God will not allow men to mix other things into his saving plan. God will not allow any one to take anything away from his Son as Saviour, the one and only Saviour. Come to him or perish forever in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone. Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Click here to return to index of this series: INDEX OF SERIES~KNOWING CHRIST
Click here to go to next sermon in series: KNOWING CHRIST AS OUR SECURITY
RETURN TO PILGRIMS HOPE BAPTIST CHURCH HOME PAGE
Last updated on Thursday, May 15, 2003