KNOWING CHRIST AS THE ONE
WHO MAKES ALL THINGS NEW
A Sermon By Wayne Camp
TEXT: Rev. 21:5; II Cor. 5:17
INTRO: In our first text Christ declares himself to be the one who makes all things new. He especially has in mind the new heavens, the new earth, and the new earth. But, more generally, I believe he could have much more in mind. In the second text the reference is to the creation of a new nature.
The statement in Rev. 21:5 follows Christ's promise that there will be no more pain, sorrow, crying, nor death because all the things that caused this has passed away for the child of God when the new heaven and the new earth come into being. Behold, I make all things new.
In this message I want to discuss with you a number of things which Christ makes new.
I. CHRIST GIVES US A NEW HEART
A. I suppose that some would ask why men need a new heart for aren't we all really good at heart. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
1. The heart of the natural man is very deceitful. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
2. The heart of man is very evil. Jeremiah 16:12 And ye have done worse than your fathers; for, behold, ye walk every one after the imagination of his evil heart, that they may not hearken unto me.
3. The imaginations of this evil heart of man are naturally evil. Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
4. The evil imaginations of man's evil heart start in early life. Genesis 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
5. This evil lies in the fact that man is conceived in a sinful state and shapen in iniquity. Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6. This evil heart that is in man brought him to such a hatred of God that not one by nature will truly seek after God. Psalm 51:1-3 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
7. The deceit of this evil heart has so blinded men that many will come before the great white throne judgment thinking they are saved only to hear one of the most horrible declarations that could ever fall on their ears. Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
B. The promise of a new heart is declared in the book of Ezekiel. Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
1. This new heart is a heart to know Christ. Jeremiah 24:7 And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.
2. We must know Christ if we are to have eternal life and we cannot know him without a heart to know him. John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
3. This new heart has the law of God written in it. Jeremiah 31:33-34 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
C. It is abundantly evident that we need a new heart and a new spirit and need to have a soft heart and a heart to know Christ. He makes all things new and has given all the saved a new heart.
II. THOSE TO WHOM CHRIST GIVES A NEW HEART ARE ALSO NEW CREATIONS
A. Any person who is in Christ is a new creature, or a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
B. A new creation is far more important than some mere outward, sign or ritual of the flesh. Galatians 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
C. This new creation is the new man which after God is created in righteousness. Ephesians 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
D. This new creation is renewed in knowledge after Christ who made us new. Colossians 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.
III. TO THOSE WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN A NEW HEART AND WHOM HE HAS MADE A NEW CREATION HE HAS GIVEN A NEW SONG
A. David often spoke of this new song.
1. When he had fallen very low into a state he characterized as a horrible pit he said that he was brought up out of that pit, his feet were set on a rock and a new song was put in his heart. Psalm 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
2. He called on all the earth to sing a new song unto the Lord. Psalm 96:1 O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth. Psalm 98:1 A Psalm. O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
3. We will sing a new song when we are in glory with Christ. Revelation 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation.
4. The elect remnant which shall be redeemed and restored at the beginning of the 1000 year reign will stand on Mt. Zion with their king, the man Christ Jesus and sing a new song before his throne. Revelation 14:1-3 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads. 2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: 3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
IV. CHRIST WILL MAKE A NEW HEAVEN AND NEW EARTH
A. There will be a certain renewal of the creation at the beginning of the millennial reign. Isaiah 65:17-19 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
1. This new heaven and new earth has to do with the restoration of the nation of Israel and with the earth being returned to the condition it was in during the time of Adam before his fall.
2. This does not refer to the new heavens and new earth of Rev. 21:1 because death will not have been totally abolished. Isaiah 65:20-25 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed. 21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them. 22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands. 23 They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them. 24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear. 25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.
3. The promise of this new heaven and new earth is an assurance from God of his preservation of the nation of Israel. Isaiah 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
B. We are looking for a new heaven and a new earth that shall be made after this one is renovated by fire. 2 Peter 3:10-13 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
C. This new heaven and new earth will follow shortly on the destruction of the armies which Satan will gather when he is loosed for a little season at the end of the millennial reign. he will be cast into the lake of fire with all his fallen angels and those who die without know Jesus Christ.
D. The current creation will be renovated by fire and will become a new heaven and new earth.
E. This new heaven and new earth will be a marvelous abode for those whom Christ has redeemed, called and made new.
1. It will be a place of joy without sorrow.
2. It will be a place of happiness without grief.
3. It will be a place of living without dying.
4. It will be a place of wonderful health without any pain.
5. It will be a place of godliness with no wickedness.
6. It will be a place of worship without distractions.
7. It will be a place of fellowship without parting.
8. It will be a place of loving without hating.
9. It will be a place of service without servitude.
10. It will be a place of singing with not a person out of tune.
11. It will be a place of intimate fellowship with our blessed Lord without one hindrance from Satan or the world.
V. CHRIST IS MAKING A NEW JERUSALEM WHICH SHALL BE THE ABODE OF HIS BRIDE
A. He hinted at this in his promise found in John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
1. Christ did not go to prepare dwelling places for the saved; there were already such places in his Father's house.
2. He went to prepare a special place for his bride which will be composed of those whom he judges faithful in his ordinances and service.
B. John declares that this New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
1. In Revelation 19 he had announced the marriage of the Lamb to his bride. Revelation 19:6-9 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth. 7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
2. Now, after the 1000 year reign and the casting down of Satan into hell for eternity, and the judgment of the unsaved at the great white throne judgment and their being cast into the lake of fire, John tells us of the new heaven and the new earth and in that new heaven and the new earth there is the holy city the new Jerusalem prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
a. She has the glory of God which reminds us of Ephesians 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
b. Her adornments are extremely wonderful. Revelation 21:11-21 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; 12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: 13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. 15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof. 16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal. 17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel. 18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass. 19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; 20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. 21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
c. There is no need for a temple in that glorious city for he who was typified in the tabernacle and temple is the living temple. Revelation 21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
d. There is no need of sun or moon there for there is no night and he who is pure light is there. Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
e. Nothing can enter into that city that would in any way defile it. Revelation 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
C. The glory of this city is surpassed only by the Lord who prepared it.
CONC: Yes, he is the one who makes all things new. And, he starts preparing us for all these new things when he regenerates us, causes us to experience the new birth, and gives us a new heart, and makes us a new creation in Christ Jesus. Without that, no man will live in the new heaven, the new earth, or the new Jerusalem.
|Click here to return to index of this series: INDEX OF SERIES~KNOWING CHRIST|
Thursday, May 15, 2003