KNOWING CHRIST AS OUR SECURITY
A Sermon By Wayne Camp
TEXT OF SERIES: Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.
TEXT: John 10:27-30 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.
2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
INTRO: When I think of Jesus Christ as my Saviour I automatically think of him as the one who truly saves from sin, from its guilt, its power, and its penalty. But, this is not true of everyone. Many freely call him the Saviour; they assure their listeners if they will trust him as Saviour he will save them from their past sins. But, when they get a little further, they start issuing warnings of the possibility that that salvation is only temporary unless they continued day after day and hour after hour and minute after minute meeting certain conditions.
They may allow that Christ is the author of out faith but argue that we are the finisher. They take from him the glory and honor for that aspect of our salvation which really makes it salvation, that is, our security. Though I know that most, if not all of you, fully believe that he is our security as well as our saviour, I want to call it to your remembrance again this morning. My subject is Knowing Christ As Our Security.
I. WE CAN KNOW THAT CHRIST IS OUR SECURITY BECAUSE OF HIS PROMISES AND PROCLAMATIONS
A. He promised eternal life. John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life.
1. He taught that the one believing on him had everlasting life. John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
2. He declared himself to be the bread from heaven and promised that those who ate that bread would live forever. John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. John 6:58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
3. He assured that those who hear his word and believe on the one sending him has everlasting life. John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life.
4. Time will not allow me to cite all those promises and assurances of eternal life given by Jesus Christ, but, I assure every promise and proclamation our Saviour made of eternal life assures our security.
a. This eternal life is in Christ; he is our life.
b. The security promised by Christ is in him, not in us; he is our security.
B. He promised that those coming to him would never perish.
1. John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
2. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3. John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish.
C. He promised that those believing on him are not now condemned nor will they ever be.
1. The believer is not condemned at this very moment. John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
2. The believer will not be condemned in the future. John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
D. He promised that those who come to him will never be cast out. John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
E. He assured us that none of those who come to him could ever be plucked out. John 10:28-29 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
F. He promised that none of those who drank of the water which he gives, the water of eternal life, would never thirst again.
1. This was his promise to the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well. John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
2. This was his proclamation in his sermon to the multitude whom he had fed with a little boy's lunch. John 6:35 ". . . he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
G. He promised that none of those who ate of the bread which he was giving would never hunger again. John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger.
H. He assured us with the declaration that it was the Father's will that he loose none of those given him by the Father. John 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
1. He always did the Father's will; he will always do the Father's will, and therefore promised he would raise us up at the last day. John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
2. Everyone drawn to him by the Father will be raised up at the last day. John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
3. Everyone eating his flesh and drinking his blood is given eternal life and will be raised up at the last day. John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
II. WE CAN KNOW CHRIST AS OUR SECURITY BECAUSE OF THE DECLARATIONS OF HOLY MEN OF GOD WHO SPOKE AS THEY WERE MOVED BY THE HOLY GHOST
A. Paul had absolute assurance that Christ was his security and he passed that on to us. 2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
B. John the Baptist has assured us that all who believe on the Son of God have everlasting life. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
C. Paul declared that Christ would save all who come to him to the uttermost. Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
D. Paul assured that all things work together for good to them who are the called according to God's purpose so all will be conformed to the image of Christ. Romans 8:28-30 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
E. Paul assured that there is no condemnation for those in Christ. Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
F. Jude declared and assured that Christ is able to present us faultless before the presence of his glory. Jude 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy.
G. Peter assured that through Christ we have an inheritance that is absolutely certain. 1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
H. Paul declared that by his one offering Christ has obtained eternal redemption for us. Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
I. John assured us that the person who has Jesus Christ has eternal life. 1 John 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
J. John assures us that Christ is our security when he proclaimed that Christ is the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
K. John assures us that Christ is our security when he declared that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. I Jn. 1:7
III. WE CAN KNOW THAT CHRIST IS OUR SECURITY BECAUSE OF THE ARRANGEMENTS OF THE COVENANT OF GRACE
A. All the blessings and promises of the covenant are ours through Jesus Christ.
B. In that Covenant God the Father gave the Son a people to save. Jn. 6:37
C. In that Covenant God assured Christ that all those given to him would come to him. Jn. 6:37
D. In that Covenant God gave Christ Jesus power over all flesh enabling him to give eternal life to all those given to him. Jn. 17:2
E. In that Covenant God assured that he would cause the seed of Christ, those given to him, to endure forever. Psalm 89:28-29 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven. Psalm 89:34-36 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David. His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.
F. Jesus Christ is our surety in the covenant arrangements and he is a faithful surety. Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
CONC: I know Christ is my security because he is my surety, my sacrifice, my sin-bearer, my Saviour, my mediator, my great high priest, my shepherd, my daysman, my Lord and my God. I am safe in his hands while I live in this world. I am safe in his hands when I think of death. I am safe in his hands when I go into surgery. I am safe in his hands regarding judgment. I will be safe in his hands in eternity. For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Click here to return to the index of this series: INDEX OF SERIES~KNOWING CHRIST
Click here to go to next sermon in series: KNOWING THAT CERTAIN GIFTS AND GRACES WERE BESTOWED ON THE MAN CHRIST JESUS
RETURN TO PILGRIMS HOPE BAPTIST CHURCH HOME PAGE
Last updated on Thursday, May 15, 2003